funsec mailing list archives

Re: "if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?"

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:01:17 -0800

On 2/21/06, Gary Funck <gary () intrepid com> wrote:
The transmitters are tiny (about the size of a grain of rice), cheap (£85
and falling fast), safe and stable.

and easily scanned from a distance and copied.  (note they did not
mention secure and encased in tamper resistant/evident structures)

The armed forces will discover that they are more useful than dog tags for
identifying injured soldiers or for tracking troops who are lost or have
been captured by the enemy. Prisons will soon come to the same conclusion.
Then sweatshops in developing countries will begin to catch on. Already the
overseers seek to control their workers to the second; determining when they
clock on, when they visit the toilet, even the number of hand movements they
perform. A chip makes all this easier. The workers will not be forced to
have them, any more than they are forced to have sex with their bosses; but
if they don't accept the conditions, they don't get the job.

i've refused a number of jobs based on pre-employment piss scans and
intolerable IP ownership requirements.  how much is exercising your
freedom worth to you?  $1.05 or so?

[...]
There will be no dramatic developments. We will not step out of our homes
one morning to discover that the state, or our boss, or our insurance
company, knows everything about us. But, if the muted response to the ID
card is anything to go by, we will gradually submit, in the name of our own
protection, to the demands of the machine. And it will not then require a
tyrannical new government to deprive us of our freedom. Step by voluntary
step, we will have given it up already.

this is what really concerns me; alas, complacency is pandemic at the moment...

[i also don't use cell phones, pagers, membership cards for grocery
stores or any other chain, credit cards, etc.  i'm a freak, a freak!
in this modern world.  *sigh*]