funsec mailing list archives

RE: Homeland Security Official Suggests Outlawing Rootkits

From: "Brian Azzopardi" <brian () gfi com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:03:13 +0100

Perhaps the best way to deal with rootkits is to outlaw them.

Is it ok if Microsoft 'outlaws' them?

In Vista kernel code such as device drivers and Sony's best will not run
in ring 0 but ring 1 - so stuff like hiding files/processes/etc which
depend on hijacking kernel data will be very, very hard*

Additionally, starting with Vista x64, only corps who pay an annual
license fee to Verisgn for a certificate to sign their drivers with will
be able to play in kernel-land.

Brian

*I wont say impossible coz some bright spark might find an exploit in
the kernel APIs.