funsec mailing list archives

Re: Homeland Security Official Suggests Outlawing Rootkits

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:04:29 +0200

Fergie wrote:
Via C|Net News.

[snip]

Perhaps the best way to deal with rootkits is to outlaw them.

At least when it comes to such mishaps as the Sony BMG
<snip>

As long as they outlaw rootkits, and we can still all do spyware, backdoors, data collection, etc.

After all, if someone smuggles something on an airplain using their shoes, make sure they all take their shoes off and you look at them from now on.. don't create good security practice instead.

But I understand where the guy is coming from... commercial companies need these regulations, I don't see why the FCC for example can't just do it instead of legislation.. or is it a different organization?

        Gadi.

--
http://blogs.securiteam.com/

"Out of the box is where I live".
        -- Cara "Starbuck" Thrace, Battlestar Galactica.