funsec mailing list archives

Re: Should gun owners be licensed?

From: Kenneth Bechtel <kbechtel () teamanti-virus org>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:10:21 -0500

On Sunday 12 February 2006 04:26 pm, Richard M. Smith wrote:
Note:  This story is from CNN and *not* The Onion

Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter

Hmmm sounds a little bit like blaming the existence of computers for computer
viruses and malware.  Don't see how licensing would have prevented this.  Had
Mr Cheney followed the four basic rules of gun handling this would have never
occurred.

For those not familiar with the  rules:

1) Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
2) Never point a gun at anything you do not want to shot.
3) always keep the gun on safe and finger off the trigger until ready to
shoot.
4) know your target and what's beyond.

*I* am very tired of inanimate objects being blamed for carless or deliberate
actions of individuals.  Firearms have no mind of their own and can not act
on their own.  We don't blame beer for drunken driving, we blame the driver,
we don't blame buckets for drowning children (CDCs studies show that drowning
is one of the highest causes of child death, I think it's third), we don't
blame computers for computer viruses, I don't think I need to go on, as we're
all intelligent people, and can follow the logic.

My 11 year old knows the rules of safe gun handling, as has the Boy Scouts I
have taught.  I just don't understand why so many adults do not, and employ
emotion towards a logic problem.

--
Kenneth L. Bechtel, II
Team Anti-Virus