funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Plans Massive Data Sweep

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:30:08 -0500

On 2/11/06, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah
From:                   Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
http://www.workingforchange.com/comic.cfm?itemid=20323

There is an excellent book by David Brin, "The Transparent Society," that deals
with exactly this sort of issue.  Basically, he takes Larry Ellison's "You have no
privacy.  Get over it" quote and kind of looks at it sideways: OK, we have no
privacy--how can we make this work for us?  His basic thesis is that if we have no
privacy, do you want only the police/government to be able to spy on you, or do
you want to know about them, too?  His optimum position is "reciprocal
transparency": if you want to know about me, then you have to make yourself
accessible to me, as well.

Excellent book report! Not sure if I understand it tho.

Let me play devils advocate for a sec:
On some/future/date, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> could write:
So you want to give the Terrorists the -plans to the white house
security system, and let Them know when and where the president is
going to be at all times as well as disclose the positions of our
nukes to the Commies?
/devils_advocate

So is the book saying that total transparency is the way to go,.. or
just that the information  collected by one group needs to also
include themselves in the roster that should then be made publicly
available?

I should probably just buy the book, but this is more fun ;-)

-JP