funsec mailing list archives

Re: Question for the group

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:35:52 -0600

--On February 11, 2006 10:13:16 PM -0800 Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:

Paul Schmehl wrote:
Recently we discovered that some message boards in China were posting
the urls for web proxies at various universities, along with "login
credentials".  In our case that meant the url and a sixteen digit number
that represented our "Comet Card" IDs, smart cards that we issue to
every student, staff and faculty member when they arrive.
<snip>
Is this something new?  And why the hell do they want to grab books and
periodicals?  Can they sell them?

But, you haven't told us what having an ID lets one do.  Does it give you
proxy access to the Internet?  Or does it just let you access library
resources, like you imply?

It gives you proxy access to vendors' sites, such as Lexis-Nexis, the American Chemical Society, etc., so you can do research, read journals, search the Congressional directory, that sort of thing from anywhere in the world. You cannot use it to get to the Internet in general.

Thought about playing honeypot?  Maybe if you catch something brute
forcing, you make it look like it gets a hit, and then you later
blacklist any IPs that use that "hit".

Not really. My approach to security is to try to solve the problem rather than catch the bad guys. I wish I had the time, but I don't.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member