funsec mailing list archives

Re: 2002 murder suspect located via MSN Map search

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:11:35 GMT

Wow -- cool. :-)

It's a wild, wonderful world we live in...

- ferg

-- "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com> wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/technology/04privacy.html

The break in the St. Louis murders came in 2002, when a reporter received an
anonymous letter with a map generated by Microsoft's MSN service - marked
with the location where a body could be found.

The F.B.I. subpoenaed Microsoft for records of anyone who had searched for
maps of that area in the days before the letter was sent. Microsoft
discovered that only one user had searched for precisely that area and
provided the user's Internet Protocol address. That address, in turn was
provided by a unit of WorldCom, which identified the user as Maury Troy
Travis, a 36-year-old waiter. (Mr. Travis was arrested and hanged himself in
jail without ever admitting guilt.)

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net