funsec mailing list archives

RE: Gadi Busted In Massive Conspiracy

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 07:30:58 +1300

Sean Donelan to me:

Also, smart bad guys will ensure that they take sound steps to block
access to the WU servers, so that once run they prevent being usurped
by new MSRT updates, just as they already do with AV, etc...

Remember, when playing in a blacklisting-controlled environment (i.e.
modern "known virus scanning" AV) the bad guy has the upper hand
becvause his code always gets to run first...

That's why its important to get people with *UNMANAGED* PC's to turn on WU
auto-update.  PC's managed by professional IT sysadmins or actively
self-administered are not the target of WU auto-update.

Hey -- you're preaching to the choir here...

I was one of many people who tried (and failed) to convince MS that
they MUST enable auto-update _as the default_ in XP (at least in Home,
but we argued pretty strongly that they should make it the default
across the board for ALL current and future OSes on the grounds that
"competent" sys-admins would then decide if they needed it configured
differently and the less-than-competent many (vast majority!) would at
least be somewhat ptotected from their oen lack of clue).  We failed
again in SP1 (though I think by then all the vaguely security aware
folk inside MS agreed, but they failed to convince some or other
"business manager" -- I suspect "imagine the bandwidth bill" rang out
had learned that maybe we had a few clues about we were talking about
all along, and were fighting a dirty PR campaign trying to spin the
stupidity of their earlier poor decisions on this and its resulting
worm-fests...

WU should "run first" and install patches or updates before the exploits
start appearing after the public announcements (0-day is still a problem).

Absolutely...

The best AV is to eliminate the vulnerability by preventitive medicine,
rather than trying to cure the machine after its infected.  It would be
great if software had no vulnerabilities, but absent that, the next best
thing is effectively patching as many machines as soon as possible.

Well, it's not AV's job to eliminate and prevent vulnerabilities (other
than in their own products).  That is the responsibility of the OS and
application developers in the first instance, and would be greatly
assisted if large corporate buyers started factoring security and
integrity assurance issues into their RFIs and, ultimately, into their
supply contracts.

Nevertheless, WU auto-update won't help as much with the self-infect
vectors.  ...

...which is primarily what AV does deal with (or is supposed to).

Viruses need not include any form of vulnerability exploitation.  Those
that do will, all other things being equal, tend to have better rates
of spread, etc, but that is independent of their virality per se.
Virality is a function of system integrity failure, and historically we
have done an abysmally poor job of designing integrity management and
assurance into (popular) computer systems.

...  Once you are owned, I wouldn't trust MSRT or any AV product to
completely restore a compromised computer because you never know what you
don't know.  The MSRT is an "air drop" to help control the worst
infections amoung the unmanaged PC population.  MSRT is not a replacement
for other security products or IT management.

More preaching to the choir...    8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald