funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: Ilfak's WMF patch

From: Ilfak Guilfanov <ig () datarescue be>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 02:09:01 +0100

Hello Matthew,

MM> Not even a question.  The ABORTPROC record type has *ZERO* legitimate
MM> use in the real-world.  It is designed to execute arbitrary code, making
MM> it a security risk without legitimate value.  If there are apps that use
MM> the functionality, I for one, am happy to see them broken.

I agree with you that the ABORTPROC record has no use in the WMF
files.

But there is a reason why it exists: WMF data can be file based and
memory based. If it makes little sense to embed an executable
procedure in a file, some programs may generate a memory based WMF
with ABORTPROC. These memory based WMFs can be used to pass data
between different parts of the program. In this setting the ABORTPROC
record makes sense and poses no security risk.

When I mentioned broken functionality in the description of the
fix, I meant memory based WMFs.

OTOH, I do not know what (if any) programs use them.

MM> It might be worth noting that Ilfak only tested his patch on XP SP2.
MM> It's been said to work on Windows Server 2003 SP1 by some, though it's
MM> confirmed that it does indeed break on XP SP1, XP RTM, and there are
MM> conflicting reports about Win2003 RTM.  Windows 2000, Windows 98, and
MM> Windows Me users aren't able to apply the fix, either.  Given that the
MM> number of Win2003 systems out there is going to be pretty small, it
MM> seems that most non-XP desktop environments will be out of luck, as will
MM> environments that haven't made the move up to SP2 from SP1 or (god
MM> forbid) RTM.

The fix has been tested on 2000, XP, and Server2003 machines so far.
As about WinME/98 - I have no idea. It is quite possible that they are not
vulnerable but this is to be checked.

MM> As an aside, with source code being available, I imagine that Ilfak's
MM> patch could be ported to different environments if copies of the
MM> gdi32.dll file from those systems could be procured.

Yes, I love to hear that.

However, porting to Win9x systems will be a pain. I doubt that it is
possible/desirable to patch gdi32.dll as it is done for NT based
systems.

--
Best regards,
 Ilfak                            mailto:ig () datarescue be