funsec mailing list archives

Re: This isn't just me that thinks this is a really bad idea is it??

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:08:37 -0000

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:04:24 -0000, Xyberpix <xyberpix () xyberpix com> wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/26/uk_computer_crime_revamp/

Sort of, if you read the text of the act, it synchronises the CMA with the act (sorry can't remember the name) used to prosecute for "Going equipped" - which you may be charged under for carrying tools that may be used to commit a crime (e.g. lock picks or even a hammer!) if there is reasonable suspicion of intent.

The golden word here is "intent" which is all through the CMA. This will cause its own problems - how does one prove the intent, how does one prove that the person knew that what they were doing was wrong?

Hence I can see more disclaimers about "this tool should only be used for licenced purposes". For pen testers we'll just have to make sure that we have documented approval for the pen test (I already get this now).

Now, the problems with the act: (3) In this section “article” includes any program or data held in electronic form.

Is so ambiguous as it could include an article on how to use nmap, or even could cover the telnet utility.

Second:
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he makes, adapts, supplies or offers to supply any article - (a) knowing that it is designed or adapted for use in the course of or in connection with an offence under section 1 or 3; or (b) intending it to be used to commit, or to assist in the commission of, an offence under section 1 or 3

Which contains the same ambiguity, especially with section (a) which could cause any basic network tool (e.g. telnet or even ping (as it can be used to cause a DoS))

Badly written law by people who don't understand technology and understand the security field even less.

I strongly suggest that UK readers should write to their MP about it (though I've little hope in this, even though my MP used to by the IT minister she still shows little understanding about computer issues).

dave