funsec mailing list archives

RE: Russinovich: Inside the WMF 'Backdoor'

From: "Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)" <Blanchard_Michael () emc com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:58:23 -0500

Well, not to fuel the conspiracy theory even more as I don't really think that it's true, but...

  If I were to intentionally code something in, that is suppose to be *very* covert, I would discretely code in that
backdoor so it would look 100% like an error or "flaw".  So all the "validation" that can be done will not disprove
that there isn't' a conspiracy.  Any statements from Microsoft or the Government will also only fuel the conspiracy, as
why would they actually admit to coding in a backdoor that looked like a flaw....

   The only thing that Conspiracy theorists will actually believe is the one crackpot that "used to work for Microsoft"
or "used to work for the government" that says to the press that he was part of the team that came up with the code for
this backdoor.  Perhaps this is the guy actually wrote the GDI drivers, but is now looking for the limelight

  Conspiracies can never be disprove :-)

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580