funsec mailing list archives

Re: And another Sony DRM Rootkit question

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:41:36 -0500

According to Zone Labs, ZoneAlarm 6.0 'premium' products detected the
behavior and blocked the installation of the rootkit:
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2005/pr_17.html

Any permission-based firewall, properly configured, should detect the
player's phoning home. But I see no reason a firewall should detect the
rootkit itself. ZA's premium products do but only because they offer more
holistic protection than would a standalone firewall.

There's good evidence here that the player was able to phone home A LOT:
http://www.doxpara.com/

But, of course, how much of that traffic emanated from rootkitted PCs is
anyone's guess.

-- Mary