funsec mailing list archives

Re: Jerusalem Virus: Once upon a time....

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:24:40 +0000 (GMT)

The first time I analysed it, I misread the Friday (5th day of the week)
as May (5th month of the year), it's different half-register, and it was a
few days before I realised that it didn't do it's thing on May 13th.

But I wouldn't call it an epidemic. There were a few outbreaks, in which a
few computers were infected. Cascade wasn't big either - both of those
needed executable (com or exe for Jerusalem, com for Cascade) file
sharing, which didn't actually happen much.

The biggie was Stoned, which spread via floppy disk sharing, and floppy
disks were the main way people shared stuff back then.