funsec mailing list archives

Jerusalem Virus: Once upon a time....

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:15:55 GMT

I know several of you may appreciate this, and may have several
comments on the topic(Alan :-).

Via the Kaspersky blog.

[snip]

Back in 1987, the 13th November was a Friday. It was also the first trigger date for the Jerusalem virus. (You may
think there are problems with virus naming now, but back in 1987, there were serious issues - Jerusalem was also called
Friday the 13th 1813, Hebrew University, Israeli and Suriv-3.).

In 1988, Jerusalem caused the first major computer virus epidemic - it infected enterprises, government offices and
academic institutions around the world. Now, we've got used to virus outbreaks, and it's hard to imagine the world
without them. My days in the antivirus world don't go back to the days of the Jerusalem epidemic. But along with Stoned
and Cascade, Jerusalem was still one of the big three infectors when I started doing antivirus technical support back
in 1990.

[snip]

More at:
http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=173917844

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net