funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targeted phishing

From: Craig Webster <craig () xeriom net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:28:51 +0100

Hi All,

Something worth mentioning regarding this scam is that the fishing mails
were written in the worst swedish I've ever seen, you could barely
understand what they ment. Previous viruses/scams in swedish that I've
seen were also kind of poorly written but this one actually looked like
it was automatically translated from some other language by a very bad
software. Some of the words are not even real words.

In the beginning, we saw the same thing in Germany, but the attackers'
language skills have improved somewhat.  Spelling and grammer is
mostly correct, but some stylistic issues remain.

Pretty much the only scams that land in my inbox are the poorly spelled
ones. After all, if spam taggers can't understand the words then it's
quite hard to tell if it's a spammy email or not. Ppl OTOH cn m4ke senzs
0f a lt off jun|<.

I've had a lot of letters through from my bank that to me look a lot like
phishing scams. In general they're trying to sell me a new service
(spend ?5,000 and get ?5 back yay!), have HTML emails that are all images,
encourage people to *click here* (and the link goes to a strange url) and are
full of niggling little punctuation errors... it's basically training
people not to check that emails claiming to be from this bank are legit.

Luckily, I'm immune to both these legit emails and similar phishing
mails. Quite apart from my spam tagger catching them, I delete
my HTML emails; Deciphering them is more bother than they're worth when
reading from the command line.

Yours,
Craig
--
Craig Webster | web: http://xeriom.net/
Xeriom.NET    | tel: +44 (0)131 516 8595