funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: summary of the "sharing samples" thread from my view-point

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:25:55 +0200

Nick FitzGerald wrote:
Gadi Evron wrote:

<<big snip>>

My arguments repeat themselves: malware is everywhere - fact.  ...

Yes...

...  Good Guys
have a hard time - fact. Etc.

<<big snip>>

In this debate we keep hearing this claim, but I just don't believe it.

Who the f*ck are all these thousands upon thousands of "Good Guys" who need malware samples and access to expert analysis of the same _for their own and the Internet's betterment_?

Who the f*ck are they?

Where did they suddenly come from?

What do they do for a crust?

Why the f*ck are they not knocking down the doors of the professional analysis labs (or presumably at ClamAV should they strongly prefer OSS) that certainly could use a bunch of them?

Seriously, I want (in fact, need) to know the answer to this.

They are the f*cking:
1. Security researchers (yes, researchers Pierre), from vulnerability to malware, with hundreds of security companies world-wide.
2. Consultants.
3. Organizations trying to protect themselves from a certain new threat or damage-control one.

All those that need to give answers to someone, or keep themselves up-to-date, and don't work for an AV company or willing to pay someone like you or me to do it for them. Those who get paid like you or me to do it for someone.

Where the f*ck did they come from?
Well, where the fuck did all the thousands of new names in the field come from in the last few years? Colleges, kids looking for work, ex-kiddies looking for work... and with the market demanding new people and security guys making relatively good money... they keep coming.

I'd rather not debate this or any other issue relating to it anymore. If you'd like I'd be happy to hear your summary of the matter, with relevance to the "so called" new world I claim is here.

Happy new year from the Eiffel towel!

        Gadi.