funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:48:15 +1300

C wrote:

The same way people vet for the purposes of computer security email lists.

There is no vetting for email lists.

Them's the words of someone who is not on any of the right lists...

I'm on dozens of lists with vetted membership -- some very heavily
vetted with an extraordinary level of interpersonal trust necessary to
get on, others with somewhat "easier" tests and some where pretty much
you can get on if an existing member recommends you.

It is difficult to get on those very highly trusted lists, but fairly
easy to get onto the "easier" ones.  Membership and performance on the
easier lists can then be (part of) your development of the higher
levels of visibility and trust necessary to get on the "higher" lists.

Yes, it is necessarily exclusionary, because the folk on those lists
ascribe to a set of values that does not include "it's OK to piss in
the swimming pool so long as I warn other swimmers they should be
wearing a haz mat suit first".

Your and Val's site is simply an extension of the "Internet is a sewer"
analogy I like so much, with you running it as a direct contributory to
the main sewer.  The kinds of sites and lists that Dr Solly and I
prefer for dealing with such things hold _improving_ the quality of the
Internet as an extremely high goal, coupled with the value that we
should not do further harm in trying to achieve our goals.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald