funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:50:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, C wrote:

What you are neglecting to consider is that malware comes to you.  Just put
up a mwcollect server out on the open internet and you will get a lot of
stuff that appears on OC.  Are you going to make the argument that mwcollect
is wrong too?  Furthermore, is anyone hosting any sort of server wrong
because they provide a vector for malware?  Is the internet a bad thing
because it propagates this stuff?  Heck no.

I get a whole bunch of malware sent to me in email. I delete it all. I
don't actually have any choice in what gets sent to me, so I can't be held
responsible for the fact that I get sent malware.

I do, however, have a choice in who I send malware to, and I *should* be
held responsible for distributing it with care.

The reality is that the whole malware "fight" is an uphill battle.  An open
forum with copies of the malware is important in that analysis and results
can be verified by anyone.  What about the people who failed to protect
their network and educate their users about these threats?  Where is their
liability in this problem?  This is all about filling the void in malware
analysis.  That void is malware itself, and an open community by which to
discuss this.

The unethical thing to do is limit the spread of resources.

Oh?

Hey, I want several of the resources I see advertised in PC World. Are
they being unethical in refusing to send it to me unless I fulfil the
criteria they set?

There's some nasty people around who would like bombs. Is it unethical to
make it more difficult for them to get bomb-making material?

There's some nasty people around who want to spread malicious software. Is
it unethical to make it more difficult for them to do so?