funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:16:19 +0000 (GMT)

whats stopping the AV companies from beefing up their detection
algorithms (or creating them to begin with)?

You're right! Why didn't the AV companies think of that great idea
themselves! Damn, how could we have been so stupid.

maybe this will actually
help the bad AV companies out. Still, I would doubt that these
processes work on apps like nod32.

Are the proponents of the (hypothetical) discontinuing of this site

I'm not suggesting that the site be discontinued. I'm suggesting that Val
has the obligation to decide who gets access to it and who doesn't,
because he's being irresponsible if he doesn't.

saying that: while skilled "bad guys" wont be helped by this site, the
average script kiddie will?

Both groups will be helped, but the poorer malware coders will be helped
more.

There is something to be said about
keeping dangerous information from todays children who havent learned
restraint or the dangers of punishment, but I am still uneasy about
trodding down a path that limits free speech in _any_ from.

I'm comfortable with you being uneasy. But I'm uneasy about you being
comfortable.