funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: "Joe Jaroch (Tera Innovations, Inc.)" <security () terainnovations com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:25:27 -0600

This is bugging me....
Is there any reason at all NOT to have a vetting procedure? I know, yes, freedom of speech and all that jazz... but really, when discussing about things that can cause damage - guns are not handed out freely, everyone doesnt have the material to build nuclear weapons, and (as aforementioned), biological viruses are not given out to anyone. How many new spyware/antivirus researchers are there out there? How many people are going to end up infecting themselves when they test out your samples? Even if it [the admission process] is somewhat lax, it would probably deter a lot of malware writers if you do atleast somewhat of a background check on them, or, require the need of a 'resume' of sorts (companies worked at, AV/Security contacts that can vouch for them). There are not 10 people a day that just wake up and decide - "Oh, I think i'll start researching how to analyze malware today!". We dont need script kiddie 'antivirus researchers'.

I have also wanted a public virus research system, but in mine, it was much different. Instead of allowing everyone to download the files, they can ONLY browse the MD5s of the files. This would allow antivirus researchers to cross check new samples that they got to determine what definition name to add. As for a public system to allow EVERYONE to download samples, that doesnt seem legitimate. Ask almost any person with 2/3rds of a brain: "I am thinking of opening a website where anyone and everyone can download, distribute and release viruses, spyware, and other malicious buggars" and they would object to it.

It is a good thing to have, but without any admission moderation, it is irresponsible. There are a lot of virus collections online (dont want to name them here), but ironically, almost all of them are run by known virus writers or virus collectors.... wonder what the coorelation is there......

(P.S. - your download links are wrong. http://www.offensivecomputing.net//usr/local/apache2/htdocs/offensivecomputing/drupal/files/active/0/ -- something -- should be http://www.offensivecomputing.net/files/active/0/ -- something -- )

Just my $0.02,

-Joe Jaroch
Tera Innovations, Incorporated.
http://www.viruscape.com