funsec mailing list archives

RE: U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

From: "Henderson, Dennis K." <Dennis.Henderson () umb com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:46:23 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu]
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 3:38 PM
To: Henderson, Dennis K.
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:57:23 CST, "Henderson, Dennis K." said:

I guess I'm just a conservative sheep, but I don't see the
patriot act
as terribly intrusive on my rights as an American citizen.  If the
ALCU wants to create and protect the rights of terrorists,
why don't
they just say so..

You're obviously too young to remember the FBI conducting
totally illegal spying on Martin Luther King Jr. and other
people on the president's "enemies list".

Yes I am(too young)...  Was learning to piss in something else than diapers then, but I digress...

I'm not sure that a "presidential enemies list" falls under the same classification as an axis of evil or terror. As
with anything that gives power, responsibility to use that power correctly is one of the biggest tests of morality for
a human being.  Yes, I'm also naïve in thinking that my government will also use that power wisely and properly, but I
guess I'm looking a little further down the road than some. Would I rather the government know a little about me so
they can solve a terrorist plot that might kill me(or you) later?   Hard question to answer...

If you were a *true* conservative, you'd be asking why the
government needs the ability to go into essentially *any*
place of business (including your bank, the library, and
anyplace else that you've exchanged money or ID with), and
look at your records, with the following:

You're right. A true conservative would want less government involvement, not more, but I would try to say with a
straight face that the patriot act comes closer to a federal constitutional responsibility than say, Social Security or
the ATF,or even the EPA; some organizations that I really feel intrude on my life.

As one that has had a security clearance, most of my life, I guess I'm just numb to what bothers you. The feds already
know my life story and I've gotten over that intrusion....   Everytime I renew my federal fireworks license, the feds
get to know me better too...

So  BAA AA AA AA....  :)

1) No judicial oversight. Subpoenas? Warrants? Who needs those?
2) No need to indicate that any wrongdoing at all is
suspected. Fishing expeditions hoping to find dirt are totally OK.
3) It's a felony for the person presented with the request to
admit that the request was ever made.

So - since you obviously don't mind that, care to post
*everything* you've ever checked out of a library? Including
anything that might land you on some "enemy of the state"
list?  Ever read any Ayn Rand?  And so on...

I knew my comment would draw out some tin foil.. I now have enough to last me well into 2006.

Have a happy Rama-Hannua-Quanz-mas....