funsec mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: Microsoft: Rootkits and Blaster

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:00:40 +1300

Hubbard, Dan wrote:

If anyone can find the meat of the stats from MS that would be
appreciated.  ...

I don't have time to look for my notes right now, but will try to
remember to look later...

...  My *guess* on this is that there is a definition
discrepancy. Yes, agreed malcode is more "stealthy" and yes agreed
malcode is more "sophisticated". But if you compare the number of
keyloggers and bots that have no rootkit functionality to the number
that do it's a very small percentage of the total.

OK -- I think I know what the "problem" is here...

The MSRT _necessarily_ produces badly biased stats.  This is so obvious
that I did not even mention this component of the bias in my earlier
message -- given the likely membership of this list, I didn't even
think I'd have had to consider mentioning this...

It it entirely part of the nature of the beast.  I mean, think about
what MSRT is and who runs it on their machines for a moment.

Most folk who run it don't even know they are running it -- it arrives,
once a month, as part of their auto-download from Windows Update and
runs.  If it finds anything, this is reported back to MS.  Of course
(if you believe the sales figures for the AV companies) "most" of these
folk are already running a "proper" AV product.  Given that, MSRT stats
are going to be heavily biased to reporting detection of things other
AVs don't detect AND reporting detection of things that disable or
bypass other AVs.

The relatively small proportion of MSRT-running machines (if you
believe the sales figures for the AV companies) that do not also run a
"proper" AV will be the bulk of MSRT machines reporting major "outbreak
scale" infections.

Given those biases, as I said earlier, I'd say that the MSRT stats do,
in fact, sound and "feel" about right.  If MSRT's reported rate of
rootkit detects still seems high to you, consider what that might say
about most "proper" AVs' abilities to detect active rootkits (as
compared to their ability to detect the raw, unprotected files
containing the component parts of those same rootkits...).  I've not
looked closely, but I don't think many of the big AVs have been putting
much work into active rootkit detection (at least, as measured in terms
of ability to detect active rootkits _in currently shipping product_).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald