funsec mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: Microsoft: Rootkits and Blaster

From: "Hubbard, Dan" <dhubbard () websense com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:46:50 -0800

If anyone can find the meat of the stats from MS that would be
appreciated. My *guess* on this is that there is a definition
discrepancy. Yes, agreed malcode is more "stealthy" and yes agreed
malcode is more "sophisticated". But if you compare the number of
keyloggers and bots that have no rootkit functionality to the number
that do it's a very small percentage of the total.