funsec mailing list archives

Re: Some weekend entertainment

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:08:14 +0200

At 11:37 AM 03-12-05 -0700, Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 12/3/05, Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Peter Kruse wrote:
> I think this is a direct result of their research at Internet mapping:
> http://www.netdimes.org/
> They may have been brainstorming and saying "now that we have such a large
> botnet under our control and we have mapped the Internet, what should we
> do now?"

They probably should have fixed their site before mapping the entire
Internet ;-)

(from http://www.netdimes.org/data.php)
Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during
query in /var/www/html/DIMES/data.php on line 169
Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Already stated in their forums:
http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=498

-Hank

> and the answer probably was, "what if we converted these 30,000 systems
> into honeypots and captured virii and ..."

LOL, that sounds like the most plausible explanation suggested. I hope
they decide against this, as their "wormholes" will be owned pretty
quickly, and actually be used to beat virus def's.  Imagine: you have
one network of machines distributing a package of signatures to detect
viri. Someone hijacks 1 machine and sends out a viri rather than a
signature update. Bam! Instant botnet!

 -JP
"Shut yer Wormholes"
-Captain Cisco