funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:32:53 +1300

Dr. Neal Krawetz wrote:

<<snip>>
So my question is, are all wireless routers slow?

All?

Generally "slow wireless" means either no/bad/poorly positioned
external antenna on the AP or, more commonly, interference from
surrounding devices in the same/close spectrum slice (most likely
neighbours' WiFi networks on the same channel).  Another issue I've
seen reported (I'm not a big user or supporter of WiFi) is that some
(all?, cheaper??) APs drop back to the slowest speed for _all_
communications for any device they see trying to connect/reliably
connecting.  In the latter case, a loosely (aka OOTB default)
configured home WiFi AP (not saying yours is -- in fact, would exepct
the opposite!) would be slowed by any older (802.11b) or marginally in-
range device configured to connect to ANY...

I know that wireless is slower than wired, but why should having a
wireless router slow down the wired connection?
Do all vendors dumb down to the slowest common denominator?

All?

Dunno about slowing down the wired connection, BUT have seen similar
suggestions/complaints from clueful users of older APs (in one case,
disabling the very old 802.11b built into a laptop that had been
retired to being a (wired!) print server saw a 5-6 times improvement in
reported DSL throughput in the same kind of configuration as your cable
test, both from wired and 802.11g clients).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald