funsec mailing list archives

Re: skype again - muhahaha

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:32:53 +0200

* Joe Stewart:

I got a phone phish today. It went something like:
[Ring Ring]
Me: Hello?

I get them all the times, allegdly on behalf of state lotteries or
telcos (primarily by SKL and Tele2, if you are interested in details).
Of course, they suppress the caller ID, so there is hardly any way to
prove that the companies are actually involved.

I believe that these calls are not direct fraud, but just an
aggressive (and illegal!) acquisition method, but the line between
this kind of telemarketing and phone phishing is very, very thin.