Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Banknotes Misproduction security & biometric weakness

From: Vulnerability Lab <research () vulnerability-lab com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:22:14 +0100

Am 31.01.2018 um 17:21 schrieb Vulnerability Lab:
Hello Ben Tasker,
sorry if the title of the issue did lead you to misunderstand the
article. The currency is still secure.
The title refers to the information used for the issue. In case it was
misleading we will update it but you was the first who misunderstood
the article by comments.

"The weakness, the theory goes, is that someone could register a
"fingerprint" in your system by using a banknote. This'd give them
access whilst also meaning you didn't at least have a hash of their
real fingerprint for forensics to find."
This is correct. Also the problem that others can access with the same
hologram into for exmaple the high protected area (mil & gov).

"Another theory is that users might opt to use a banknote instead of
their own fingerprint. I'm not quite sure what the likelihood of that
is, in that it's not exactly convenient, and if you're concerned about
privacy implications from a fingerprint scanner the best option is not
to use it."

What about, if the fingerprint of lenovo (bug disclosed parallel to
us) is our european currency. Means the hardcoded fingerprints that
published parallel is exactly what we refer to when we talk about a
universal fingerprint. In the real life it is pretty easy to use it in
large companies due to the registration and as well on entrance. Maybe
you feel like the pratical interaction can not happen, we can confirm
you from germany we was successful. The government disallowed us to
register the fingerprint to the real system otherwise a compromise
could not be excluded.

--
VULNERABILITY LABORATORY - RESEARCH TEAM
SERVICE: www.vulnerability-lab.com