Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: heartbleed OpenSSL bug CVE-2014-0160

From: Ricardo Iramar dos Santos <riramar () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 12:21:40 -0300

I think that I found the answer for my question on the RFCs 6520 on page 5 (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6520#page-5) and 6066 page 8 (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6066#page-8).
Take a look on the RFC6520 on page 5:

     The total length of a HeartbeatMessage MUST NOT exceed 2^14 or
max_fragment_length when negotiated as defined in [RFC6066].

Now let's take a look on RFC6066 page 8:

     Without this extension, TLS specifies a fixed maximum plaintext
fragment length of 2^14 bytes.  It may be desirable for constrained clients
to negotiate a smaller maximum fragment length due to memory limitations or
bandwidth limitations.

I think the idea to have the client setting a SMALLER length is just for in
case of memory or bandwidth limits.
I had this in my mind because if there wasn't a reasonable explanation for
the client set the length it could be that the developer malicious
intention to include this bug. Anyway, I was thinking wrong since we have
the reason on the RFCs.

Thanks
Ricardo Iramar

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Ricardo Iramar dos Santos <