Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: My ISP is routing traffic to private addresses...

From: "Carl \"Thomas\" Guething" <thogue () nerd com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 16:40:33 -0400

AT&T won't let you use 10.0.0.0/8 inside your home network on their devices
for the same reason. You will get an error if you try to configure their
device with it.

**
On 2013-05-17 16:17:35 (-0400), Gary Baribault wrote:

The only problem is that anyone on a cable modem could access their
10.x.x.x/8 address space and frankly who cares.

Me, if they're still not signing (much less encrypting) packets on the
local loop, and continuing to wish real hard that no one builds serial or
other debug ports—or board headers for same—into "certified" cable modems.

I have a Verizon Wireless femtocell with what looks like an HDMI port on
the bottom, but *probably* isn't. I've been afraid to experiment, for fear
of what I'd find. Embedded device security continues to amuse / terrify.