Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apple IOS security issue pre-advisory record

From: Dave <mrx () propergander org uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:26:48 +0000

On 24/03/2012 05:44, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:52:45 -0000, Dave said:
I am not an expert so please, for my education, correct me if I am wrong.
Is it not so much the request, but what the request is made with?

It's a pretty safe bet that most of the 300 clicky-clicky types did *not* use
wget to test what it was.

Would not requesting with wget mitigate any attack?

Well, assuming that the perpetrator doesn't have a 0-day for wget. ;)

The source of the page and any scripts called by the page should be enough to
ascertain whether the page is malicious or not.

"should" is the operative term.  But that only works if the miscreant is lazy
enough to point their link directly at the malicious content.  If they're
smart, they'll point at a page that looks legit, but loads Javascript from some
3rd party that loads more Javascript from a 4th party that that loads more crud
from a server you've pwned. I've hit pages on mainstream websites with noscript
enabled, and had 25+ different sites' Javascript blocked, and as you enable
sites you just get *more* sites in the list.

I just hit http://www.msnbc.msn.com, and NoScript blocked something from
2011.wimbleton.com. Malicious? Out of date?  What *other* domains will that
site end up loading *more* crud from?  Who knows?

Trying to sort this type of stuff out is part of the reason why drive-by pwning
is so common - the fact that the page came from someplace reasonably trustable
like the BBC or similar tells you *nothing* about where alll the content on the
page came from.

Pretty much as I thought. I investigate some, (when not too busy) of the links in the unsolicited mails I receive and
concur with what you have
written here. I always browse with NoScript/adblock/cookie monster/Ref control enabled regardless of whether I think I
can trust the site or
not. I learned a long time ago to ditch Outlook/IE and only view email in plain text.

I am curious and I do like to play with malware on a VM. I am also a novice, so perhaps I am over cautious. Then again,
I think there is no such
thing as over cautious when a great deal of the miscreants trying to own systems or phish for credentials are more
knowledgeable than I.

I just wish I had more time to study and research.

Doesn't the the -e, robots=off, --page-requisites and -H wget directives enable one to collect all the necessary files
that are called from a page?

Cheers
Dave