Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Snail mail vs. Email

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:11:26 -0400

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org> wrote:
On 10/12/2011 3:23 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Laurelai<laurelai () oneechan org>  wrote:

On 10/12/2011 1:26 PM, Daniel Sichel wrote:
[SNIP]

I work in the phone business and we have CALEA requirements which
supposedly allows law enforcement to carry out their sanctioned wire
taps anonymously to protect suspects' right to privacy. I may be wrong,
but it seems pretty abusable (if that's a word) to me.  I do NOT want
that on the Internet.

Right and the way to stop that is to require a warrant and a paper
trail, if someone serves a warrant at your home you get a copy of the
warrant and you can ensure they only get exactly what the warrant states
and *nothing more* these warantless email seizures have no such limits
or accountability.they can literally come in and take copies of all your
emails and you will never know about it, and they can do it for
practically any reason, if you encrypt your email they will just demand
they keys/passwords with a court order and you can't really fight it
without spending time in jail, the US Gov simply doesn't have enough
accountability or transparency, that's why we *need* more legal
protections, if cops kick down your door without a warrant then anything
they find rightfully cant be used as evidence, the same thing should
apply to electronic communications.

In the US, we have the legal protections (on paper). The laws are not
enforced; the checks are balances are lacking; and there is no
accountatbility for public officials.

There's not a lot we can do when a public official disregards the law,
and subsequently goes unpunished. The ACLU and EFF do a great job, but
until public officials spend time imprisoned for their actions,
nothing will change.

That is a good point Jeff, all the more reason to push for change and
reform.
Sparta, as one of the first democracies, had it right. They put the
public officials on trial when their term expired because they knew
what Class A fuck-ups they were. Its funny how that lesson was lost to
history.

Jeff