Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Search and Seizure of Email

From: Laurelai <laurelai () oneechan org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:54:53 -0500

On 10/12/2011 10:33 AM, Christian Sciberras wrote:
Well said!

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Sichel <daniels () ponderosatel com <mailto:daniels () ponderosatel com>> wrote:

    >In fact, law enforcement officials don?t even need a search
    warrant to
    >access private emails.

    In point of fact, nobody does, although acquiring this access is
    clearly
    easier for law enforcement.
    One of the burdens that the freedom the Internet brings, is the
    freedom.
    Your email is out there, typically unencrypted, available to
    anyone who
    can snatch the packets off the wire,
    Any ISP employee with appropriate read rights on a mail server.

    Take responsibility for your own email. Encrypt it if you must,
    but for
    heaven sakes, own the fact that it is publicly visible.

    If we do not take responsibility for our own email and whine about
    others reading it,  than there will HAVE to be regulations by
    government
    to protect us.
    That's what government does.  That's what it is SUPPOSED to do.  So
    before we invite Godzilla to protect our email, how about we just
    man up
    and take responsibility ourselves?

    But that's just the idea of a bunch of dead white guys like Edmund
    Burke, John Adams and James Madison, and what do they know?

    Dan Sichel

Well there is no push to make snail-mail encrypted and lets face it most peoples mailboxes don't have any sort of locking mechanisms and is available to anyone with two hands and the malicious intent to steal someones mail however the US Gov needs a warrant to intercept your physical mail, why does it being online somehow make it different? Especially considering the US Postal service keeps threatening to shut down, and this is due to the increased popularity of *email*. Why this should be troubling is that they consider email somehow different than physical mail when it comes to privacy rights for no really good reason, and considering that one of the grievances we had with England in the time of the revolutionary war was the government intercepting mail for arbitrary reasons. This should make every American citizen's hair stand on end.