Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: HBGary Mirrors?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:45:03 -0500

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:30:49 GMT, you said:
Oh, I didn't realise that's what FreeNet did, I thought it was a tor
alternative!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenet

https://freenetproject.org/

It's a semi-alternative.  Both address the "make it difficult to trace"
issue in somewhat similar ways.  Tor is probably more famous for its
"provide an anonymous proxy" function, but also supports "hidden" storage.
The biggest difference is that in the Tor case, the person running the
storage knows where the files are and what they are - it's just difficult
for anybody else to find out where it really is.  Freenet is more oriented
towards totally obfuscated storage, where *nobody* knows what a given file
is, or where it is actually stored, until you actually fetch it (and even
then, you don't know where the data came from).