Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in reCAPTCHA for Drupal

From: Charles Morris <cmorris () cs odu edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:40:47 -0500

It is my personal belief that all vulnerabilities should be patched
regardless of existence of a known attack vector or exploit.

Let me fix that for you:

All vulnerabilities should be evaluated as to whether patching them
makes sense.  If it's a one-liner fix for a stupid logic error, yes
it probably should be patched whether or not there's a known exploit.

So yes, evaluation is needed.  But patching it may not make any realistic
sense, depending on the nature of the issue and who is potentially affected.

I agree Valdis, and I personally used shatter when it was popularized..
resulting in tons of fun here at the university with my colleagues.

However, I'm simply stating a belief in a more abstract sense,
I agree beliefs are not always realistic, but personally I /do/ make
that guarantee whenever I write a piece of code.

I am very aware I must compromise this belief when working in the market,
like most of my other beliefs and morals, and I do so daily.

Then I go home and cry myself to sleep.

Charles