Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DEF CON 19 - hackers get hacked!

From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:51:42 +1000

*"A German technology researcher on Wednesday showed global mobile makers
and technology firms how General Packet Radio
Service<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Packet_Radio_Service>can
easily be tapped, intercepted, and decrypted with an average mobile
phone and a few applications. According to the New York Times, Karsten Nohl,
a computer engineer and mobile security researcher, demonstrated to fellow
researchers gathered to attend Chaos Communication
Camp<http://events.ccc.de/2010/08/10/chaos-communication-camp-2011/>,
a Berlin-based hackers event, how to intercept the voice or data messages
sent between mobile
devices<https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/technology/hacker-to-demonstrate-weak-mobile-internet-security.html>over
GPRS easily, owing to weak protection provided by mobile network
carriers for data information. Nohl, in collaboration with his colleague
Luca Melette, tapped the information within a radius of five
kilometers<http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/11/gprs-can-be-hacked-easily-claims-german-researcher/#ixzz1UkPeNdiE>using
a seven-year-old inexpensive mobile phone from Motorola."

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/08/11/1928215/GPRS-Can-Be-Hacked-Easily-Claims-German-Researcher

*
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/technology/hacker-to-demonstrate-weak-mobile-internet-security.html?_r=1