Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [GOATSE SECURITY] Clench: Goatse's way to say "screw you" to certificate authorities

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 22:37:33 +0200

However, why don't we have server certificates with multiple
independent CA signatures?

Tim, I find that concept very interesting.

Cheers,
Chris.

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org> wrote:
I'd rather have a company pay some good bucks to get their hands on a
highly trusted certificate than kids who's aim in life is wiping as
much hard disks as possible.
Which also answers why those $10-$20 assholes does a better job than
the kids we all know about...

Same. I would rather trust a large company that doesn't care about
anything except for my cash, instead of developing a different framework
that is not based around money.

I think you're on to something there, in that if a company's business
model were completely built on trust, then they would actually want to
protect that and not give up keys to governments.

However, why don't we have server certificates with multiple
independent CA signatures?  From there, browsers/clients could be
written to be more suspicious of single-signature Sub-CAs signed by
CAs that aren't considered as safe/trustworthy (based on whatever
political prejudices you choose).

SSL PKI won't work if it's as flexible as PGP's web of trust, but
there's no reason it needs to be as fragile as it is now.

tim