Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: All China, All The Time

From: Marc Maiffret <marc () marcmaiffret com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:07:24 -0800

Todd, have you verified this "encryption" specifically the statement by McAfee:
"One of the malicious programs opened a remote backdoor to the
computer, establishing an encrypted covert channel that masqueraded as
an SSL connection to avoid detection."

I assume by masquerade they mean the fact it is communicating over
port 443 with some simple XOR'd bytes to form commands for performing
various actions ranging from process to file manipulation and updating
etc...

There are by far better exploits and malware in the world and used
even by joe botnet operators than this IE0day and malware.

-Marc