Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Allegations regarding OpenBSD IPSEC

From: bk <chort0 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:55:39 -0800

On Dec 15, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

--On December 14, 2010 8:40:14 PM -0500 bugs () fbi dhs org wrote:

http://www.downspout.org/?q=node/3

Seems IPSEC might have a back door written into it by the FBI?

So for 10 years IPSEC has had a backdoor in it and not one person examining
the code has noticed it? <snip>

Read The Cathedral and The Bazaar.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst

I call bullshit on all the people claiming this couldn't possibly have existed because "anyone can read the source."
How many of you understand crypto.  OK, now how many of you _actually_ understand crypto?  And of those, how many look
at *BSD?

There have been plenty of recent examples of Open Source projects that have had undetected security flaws for multiple
years.  It's not difficult to believe a relatively uncommon OS could have a subtle weakness in a
difficult-to-understand part of the code.

In this particular case, it looks to be total FUD by some lunatic with an axe to grind, but we shouldn't be so arrogant
to assume that such a flaw _could not_ exist.

BTW I actually use OpenBSD on many of my systems and I happen to think it's a very simple and practical OS, but I'm not
blind to potential problems.

--
chort