Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Security Incident Response Testing To Meet Audit

From: Line Noise <300baud () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 06:17:42 -0800

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com> wrote:

The company was started by a fellow named Al Huger. I believe he also
started Bugtraq. When Bugtraq was commercialized by Symantec, Huger
moved on to Immunet.

From Kurt Seifried off list:

That is incorrect. Alephone started bugtraq independently. He then was
"acquired" (for lack of a better term, he wasn't a business) by
securityocus.com, of which Alfred Huger was a founder. I remember this
well because at the time we (securityportal.com) were also making
nosies about acquiring bugtraq (which at the time was the hot sh*t in
security lists).

I just cannot believe this. It's not rocket science folks (and Kurt's
wrong on this one).

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/description#0.2.1

For those who can't be bothered to click on the link:

"BugTraq was created on Friday the 5th of November, 1993 by Scott
Chasin. Aleph One took over BugTraq on Tuesday the 14th of May, 1996.
Over the years BugTraq has grown into a well respected security
mailing list with over twenty seven thousand subscribers."

I don't know that I'd consider it to be "well respected" nowadays, but
I *remember* all of this. Kurt's a nice guy, and pretty smart, but
this was just a three second google to find an authoritative source.

As long as I'm making corrections, it's "Aleph One" (two words), aka
Elias Levy (also two words). He wasn't acquired by SecurityFocus, it
was a joint venture between equals, and he made out like a bandit. I
helped beta test one of the tools that later became "Deep Insight" or
whatever the heck they're calling it nowadays.

I used to be on these lists under a more familiar name, but FD just
gets too much crap, and using a gmail account makes it bearable.

--
It's Full Disclosure.
Post the disclosure here, not on your website.