Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

From: Jeremy SAINTOT <jeremy.saintot () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:43:02 +0100

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what I think of that :

A Domain user that is a Local admin of his workstation is different than
a Domain user which is Domain Admin.

Then, a local admin whose account is an AD account can run scripts *on
his local machine* in the name of the domain admin.

This includes the possibility of dumping the Domain Admin password hash
and even *all the domain accounts password hashes* (ie: psexec + pwdump
against the DC, with the privileges of the domain admin).

An exploitation scenario could be the following for an unprivileged
domain user:

- Become local admin of his workstation (bunch of methods out there)
- Run script ad the Domain Admin with this technique)
- Recover Domain admin or Domain Users password hashes.
- Crack the passwords and become Domain Admin (ie: Administrator of all
workstations and servers in the domain).

My two cents !

J-