Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Just how secure encrypted linux partitions really are?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:54:01 -0500

2010/12/11 Levente Peres <sheridan () sansz org>:
Hello to All,

If anyone have serious hands-on experience with this, I would like to know
some hard facts about this matter... I thought to ask you, because here're
some of the top experts in this field, so I could find few better places.
Hope you can nodge me in the right direction, and take the time to answer
this.

Could some of you please give me some of your thoughts about this? And,
maybe, what other methods of file system encryption are out there which are
more secure?

If you are using a PBE (password based encryption), its no stronger
than the password. Though stated regarding Microsoft's BitLocker, the
same applies to all PBE systems: "BitLocker, at its core, is a
password technology, we simply have to get the password...",
Exploration of Windows 7, Advanced Forensics Topic (page 70).

If your file system key is on a USB thumb drive, the security is
probably only as strong as the physical security on the thumb drive.

Jeff