Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: On the iPhone PDF and kernel exploit

From: Zach C <fxchip () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:24:39 -0700

According to some of comex's tweets, the exploits he used are public; I also saw one person on Slashdot explain that
root was granted via an IOSurface allocation error, while other sources claim part of the Spirit jailbreak was reused
in Star. And then, of course, is the PDF exploit (that crashed Okular too when I tried to read one for shits and
giggles -- yeah, not the brightest bulb, I know...).

But you are absolutely right in stating that it really is just as dangerous as it would be if the iPhone were a
personal computer or somesuch instead (by intention :)). Remote root is remote root, and it is especially scary how it
totally trashes every security measure put in place. Normally with this sort of thing I would suppose disclosure ethics
would apply, and perhaps they still do, but at the same time, as you said, revealing the exploits makes it that much
easier for Apple to find and patch them in the next release, which is both bane and boon. The next revision would be
more secure at the expense of the user's freedom. Hell, the next revision will probably have at least part of this
patched anyway just out of Apple's commitment to the walled garden.

However... This particular exploit is only in binary form, and there is no official explanation yet. One usually comes
after Apple has patched the flaw (as in "responsible" (I think it's called?) disclosure). Until then, it's likely that
only those skilled in analyzing this sort of thing have any idea at all what Star does -- most of the "script kiddies"
are just using it to jailbreak.

Sent from my iPhone