Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: windows future]

From: Peter Besenbruch <prb () lava net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:14:40 -1000

On Friday 28 August 2009 03:39:14 Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
If the entire argument is around the default escalation behavior being
"enter a password" (which they already know) vs clicking OK because you
assume entering the password is more of a deterrent, then OK, but the
premise of "the people I work with are too stupid to know the difference"
kind of takes away from that.  And one should also note that in a domain
environment, the default behavior is indeed username and password.  Just
thought I'd throw that in as well.

It is entirely what the escalation behavior is. My objection to Vista is
two-fold: Clicking OK instead of entering a password. As I have argued
before, there really is a difference between clicking OK and entering a
password. That brings me to my second objection. Vista puts up more
escalations than Ubuntu, further exacerbating that difference. Your point
about using a password to log into domains might be valid, but only in
limited instances, as I would hope that the department that set up the domain
would have its users not running as administrators.

We basically agree on the main point: Separate user and administrator accounts
are better. I wonder if Microsoft will start enforcing that?

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky