Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Paul Asadoorian of PaulDotCom Enterprises / Podcast is ridiculous

From: "Michael Boman" <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:09:01 +0200

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
The third thing to keep in mind is that "bleeding edge" doesn't always (and
in fact rarely, if ever) correspond to what's out in the real world. OK, so
you're peeved because the guy talked about WRT54G and didn't cover Kamikazi.

Something else that one needs to remember is the thing called "lead
time". If you were to write a book today about the latest exploit on
the net, we still wouldn't see it in the bookstores until after
Christmas. Writing a book is a *lot* of job. If you checked their
website, and listen to their podcast, you will notice that when they
were writing the book the Kamakazi release was still SVN-only and
writing anything about such software on something that is created by
dead trees is a waste of resources (the OpenWRT team could have
changed the whole build system by the time the book went out to the
shops).

Yes, I may be a fan boy of the show (did even sponsor them with some
cool custom laptop skins), but it does not change the fact that print
media is a slow moving beast.

--
http://michaelboman.org - Security Blog & Wiki