Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Securing our computers?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 05:33:00 -0500

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:08:01 GMT, mcwidget said:

This is the real problem.  There are *some* things that can be done, I'd
like to see some form of NAP built into home routers that verifies your home
PC against a baseline before allowing you to go online.  You want to go to
Google?  Sure, but your AV's out of date and you've missed this week's
patches, how about I only let you to norton.com and microsoft.com until
you've updated?  Let users do what they want with their PCs and put some of
the security logic in the 'other' machine they have at home.  What if they
want to go online without updating though?

Given the number of things that simply aren't detected/removed by current
AV solutions, what makes you think that this would make any real measurable
difference?

For that matter, what makes you think that this hypothetical NAP would be
any more secure?  Hint 1: consider the security of most consumer-grade
cablemodems before you answer.  Hint 2: How does this NAP identify that
you're behind on AV updates?

Therein is where most solutions will fall down.  Either end/home users are
allowed full control of their machines to do with what they will or that
control is completely taken away from them - there's no middle ground.

And somehow, I doubt people will buy an XBox 360 that happens to have IE, MS
Office, and an IM client installed on it (even if that's what they actually
*need*).