Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenID. The future of authentication on the web?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:50:19 -0500

--On Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:18 AM -0700 Steven Rakick
<stevenrakick () yahoo com> wrote:

Hello list,

I'm curious what the group thinks about the recent
surge in support for OpenID across the web and the
impact it will have.

1) Beemba - http://www.beemba.com
2) ClaimID - http://www.claimid.com
3) MyOpenID - http://www.myopenid.com
4) Many others...

These sites are gaining in popularity quickly and with
the announcements of support from big players Yahoo,
AOL, Microsoft and Google, combined with smaller
web2.0 celeb-run sites like Digg, OpenID appears to
what will eventually be the norm.

Thoughts?

In general, I am opposed to anything that encourages people to use the same
id and password across multiple domains.  The potential for complete
compromise of everything you have/own/are is too great.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/