Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: so this is FD...

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:42:59 -0500

--On Friday, June 27, 2008 08:46:19 +0000 Lucio Crusca <lucio () sulweb org> wrote:

After bugtraq I looked for a place in the old bugtraq spirit, and eventually
I decided FD was that place, so I started reading it. Now, after a few
months of FD reading, I feel bored again. I've never replied to any of the
trolls and trolls-feeders on this list, but I've always been hardly hoping
it was a transient situation, not the main (and sometimes only) topic of
the list. Hell, if you filter out trolls postings and relative replies, the
rest is more or less what debian-security has to offer.

Now I have to choose: go on reading this, er... shit? in the hope it will
get better in the future or leave all of you alone, trolls and others, and
seek for another place.

Look for another place.  FD isn't going to get better.  I was the second person
to subscribe to the list, and I can assure you that it has degraded at a steady
pace over time.  It's not worth your time to hang around.

I know, no one here cares about me or what I'm
going to do. I'm just posting this to tell you that there are many people
out there that could be interested in reading this list, maybe not posting
for lack of skills, but with such a noise you are making them go away, and
they usually go away without telling you, like I'm doing.

That's the price you pay for having an unmoderated list, which is the entire
reason that FD exists.

If you want this list to live on, I think (for what's worth) you should find
a solution. Don't know what the solution can actually be. Maybe a wiki in
the wikipedia style, but with specific rules, community driven, would serve
better than a unmoderated list?

If you want a moderated version of FD, there are some out there.  But the list
itself was, is and always will be unmoderated.  After all, that's its raison
d'etre.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,