Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: scada/plc gear

From: gmaggro <gmaggro () rogers com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:45:01 -0500

That is certainly
some rather odd behaviour...  The fact that the other ports remained
makes it likely an application (modbus) problem.

Yes, I thought it was interesting. I really wish I didn't fry the thing
as I'd like to have eliminated the possibility it was something funny on
my end.

So far, not a great record - these things seems about as robust as
network printers, which is to say, not very.

Was it an ethernet
to rs232 converter?  (I obviously didn't look up the part number).

RS-485 to Ethernet.

Did you happen to catalogue the 'crud' which you sent prior to
failure?

I wish I had; but it was nothing unusual. I like to start out by
scanning and hammering these devices with common tools, so I used nmap,
nessus and amap. If I had to pick something, it would be setting amap on
502/tcp overnight that did it.

I know particular header options have unexpected results a
great deal of control systems.  I also know particular vendor's ip
stack implementations have been known to be produced some very things,
eg, odd ip options (off the top of my head the AB series of PLCs).

Yes indeed, I can not wait to get my hands on some real PLCs, and not
just these little converters or more modern pieces.

Now I'm curious, what other devices are you testing?

2 more devices arrived yesterday:

- i.Board i.CanDoIt embedded webserver
(http://www.csimn.com/CSI_pages/iboard.html) which is built similar to
the Kohler in that it uses an embedded ethernet module, but this time
from Digi (http://www.digi.com/products/embeddedsolutions/digiconnectme.jsp)

- ADAM-4572 (http://www.ucs.co.uk/index.php?pid=948)

- Lantronix MSS485-T
(http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/mss485-t.html)