Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Could n3td3v win a Pwnie award?

From: n3td3v <xploitable () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 02:54:28 +0100

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:27 PM, G D Fuego <gdfuego () gmail com> wrote:

 On Apr 27, 2008, at 3:11 PM, n3td3v <xploitable () gmail com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:13 PM, G. D. Fuego <gdfuego () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:48 PM, n3td3v <xploitable () gmail com> wrote:

David, your research was responsible for the SQL Slammer Worm... but
that makes you elite doesn't it, not a black hat.

No wonder the UK security service is interested in you, but I wouldn't
call it an achievement, that calls you irresponsible in my view.

David is responsible for the Slammer worm because he discovered the
vulnerability that it used?

You don't believe in Responsible Disclosure? Every responsible
security researcher and expert should be supporting responsible
disclosure. David's disclosure is a prime example why responsible
disclosure is needed.

What he did *was* irresponsible, but perhaps we can learn from it.

n3td3v

 Read ms02-039

 The patch was available 6 months before slammer, thanks to David.

 Its not his fault that people didn't apply the patch

David has to take some responsibility for what happened, he can't put
it all on Microsoft and the rest of the world.

All the best,

n3td3v