Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Distributed SSH username/password brute forceattack

From: Vincent Archer <varcher () denyall com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:03:50 +0200

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 22:34 +0200, A.L.M.Buxey () lboro ac uk wrote:
Hi,

Oct 22 20:36:13 nms sshd[90657]: Failed password for invalid user gopher
from 77.46.152.2 port 55120 ssh2

user/password authentication for SSH?  one way of cleaning up your
logs and killing this type of attack is to reconfigure your OpenSSH
to only allow key based logins. stopped my 10M+ logfiles straight away
(then the apache attacks were easier to see too ;-) )

Be careful about that. Although key-based logins are easier on your
logs, they also generate the problem of transitive access to the server.
Years ago, one of the boxes I was managing was hacked from the inside:
the hacker got an unsecured linux box thru a script-kiddie level hack,
and used the key of a local user to get in.

Although you can control how the SSH server on your side works, you have
no control on people's private keys and thus cannot enforce passphrases
on those keys. You can unknowingly lower your security by moving to a
key-based login, because some people who would type a password to log-in
will not bother securing their passphrases if they are forced to use a
private key.

--
Vincent ARCHER
varcher () denyall com

Tel : +33 (0)1 40 07 47 14
Fax : +33 (0)1 40 07 47 27
Deny All - 23, rue Notre Dame des Victoires - 75002 Paris - France